Healthy Georgia Toddler Goes to Bed Fine and Wakes Up Paralyzed from the Neck Down; Doctors Baffled by Mysterious Illness

A Georgia mother said her toddler went to bed sick and woke up paralyzed from the neck down.

It’s the latest in a series of mysterious illnesses that are baffling doctors. Two young patients were recently treated at Scottish Rite after they fell ill and then woke up partially paralyzed.

Doctors are still working to figure out what causes acute flaccid myelitis, or AFM, but they tell Channel 2 Action News the rare condition is similar to polio, in that it can cause muscle weakness or partial paralysis.

And like polio, doctors believe AFM is caused by a virus, but they don’t know which virus.

That was the case for a 2-year-old Abigail. Her mother said one moment she was a healthy child who came down with a double ear infection and fever. Then a few days later, she woke up paralyzed from the neck down.

Doctors diagnosed Abigail with AFM. She’s now in rehab making great progress.

“It’s a rare occurrence its one in a million, in a million,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director.

Across the country, the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports 62 confirmed cases of AFM in 22 states, and 93 possible cases.

“It’s really heartbreaking. No parent should ever have to experience that and what makes it worse, it’s not the tubes, it’s not the treatments, what makes is worse is not knowing what caused it,” said Abigail’s mother, Erica Palacios.

There were 5 cases reported in Georgia in 2016.

Doctors said the West Nile Virus may be the cause in some of the cases.

“It’s a very frustrating situation we do not know definitively what it is, although there is a suspicion, a strong suspicion that it is associated with a particular type of virus that we recognize,” Fauci said.

Click here to continue reading…

SOURCE: Audrey Washington