Mexico Beach Family Says God Protected Their Home From Hurricane Michael’s Destruction

As Hurricane Michael has killed as many as 39 people earlier this month, one Florida family is counting its blessings after they survived the storm trapped in a flooding warehouse.

As the Category 4 storm was fast approaching the Florida panhandle on Wednesday Oct. 15, Stephanie and Will Cribbs decided that they needed to evacuate their Mexico Beach house at around 6:30 a.m. with their four children (ages 6, 6, 5, and 2.)

As their house sits about a quarter-mile from the shore, they needed to go to a warehouse owned by Cribbs’ father that was supposed to provide more safety for the family during the storm.

But before they left the house, the Cribbs said a short prayer asking God to protect their family and their house so that they would have a home to come back to.

“We just left the house not knowing what was going to happen after that,” Stephanie Cribbs told The Christian Post in an interview this week.

What happened after that, Cribbs will never forget.

The family made the trek to the warehouse, which was a couple streets from their home but back farther from the beach. The warehouse had never experienced any flooding, so the family figured that was their safest option.

“When it really started coming in, we could feel the walls shaking. You could hear the howling. It was just a very eerie sound,” Cribbs explained, saying the winds at times exceeded 150 miles per hour. “When [the eye] came over, you could look down the road and you could see it looked like a little river trickling down and all of a sudden it was this massive flood storm racing through.”

Cribbs saw her family’s cars wash away and trees get uprooted. But without a doubt, the scariest moment came when the door to the warehouse popped open.

“When it popped open, we were at ankle-deep water, then it was waist-deep and then it was up to our chest in a matter of a minute or two,” Cribbs detailed.

The family had to climb on top of the roof of the office inside of the warehouse just to stay out of the water. In all, its was Cribbs, her husband, the four kids, Cribbs’ 91-year-old grandmother, Cribb’s parents and four dogs on top of the office roof.

“We started just watching the inside of the building and started watching as the water kept rising and rising and it kept getting closer to us,” Cribbs recalled.

She said that her children feared for their lives.

“When the water started rising, my son, we put him up on one of the desks in the warehouse and were trying to make sure that the door was getting secured and just figuring out what we are going to do next. He just kept screaming, ‘We are going to die! We are going to die! We are going to die!'” Cribbs said.

“I just said to him, ‘We are not going to die.’ My mom said, ‘In the name of Jesus, we are not going to die,'” she continued. “That was the hardest thing — the children. We chose to stay and we saw the fear on their faces.”

Fortunately, the water began to subside and as quickly as the water filled the warehouse, it began to drain.

Click here to read more.
Source: Christian Post