Explosive Devices Sent to Obamas, Clintons, Soros, and CNN Were Linked; Bomb Sent to Eric Holder Returned to Debbie Wasserman Schultz’s Office

CNN’s offices in Manhattan were evacuated after an explosive device was sent there, a law enforcement official said. (Credit: Jeenah Moon for The New York Times)
CNN’s offices in Manhattan were evacuated after an explosive device was sent there, a law enforcement official said. (Credit: Jeenah Moon for The New York Times)

Four “potential explosive devices” sent to Hillary Clinton, former President Obama, billionaire philanthropist George Soros and CNN at Manhattan’s Time Warner Center are thought to be linked, law enforcement officials say — and authorities are looking into whether two other parcels had similar signatures.

News about a similar fifth package — one addressed to former Attorney General Eric Holder that ended up at the Florida office of ex-Democratic National Committee chairman Debbie Wasserman Schultz, which was the return address listed — broke hours later. Then, NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo revealed a sixth package had been discovered at his office in Manhattan.

Two of the initial four devices — one addressed to Clinton’s Chappaqua home, one to Obama in Washington, D.C. — were intercepted by the U.S. Secret Service. Both were discovered at off-site locations and neither the former secretary of state nor former president were ever at risk, officials said.

Another of the initial packages — one addressed to ex-CIA chief John Brennan, now an MSNBC contributor — that appeared similar to the others forced an evacuation of CNN at the Time Warner Center Wednesday. NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill said the device appeared to be a “live explosive.” He also said there was an envelope with white powder in the original packaging; that powder is being tested. Mayor de Blasio said there are no additional credible threats.

It was at that briefing that Cuomo revealed his Manhattan office had received a similar package. He said, “It is being handled as we speak.” No further information about that parcel was immediately available.

Columbus Circle was shut down and NYC’s emergency alert system said at 11:10 a.m. that anyone on 58th Street between Columbus and Eighth Avenue should shelter in place immediately. Another alert went out about an hour later saying the device had been safely removed. It was taken to a Bronx facility.

Click here to continue reading…

SOURCE: Jonathan Dienst, Marc Santia, and Jennifer Millman
NBC 4 New York