12 Swimmers Hospitalized After Pool Equipment Malfunctions and Leads to Chlorine Exposure

An equipment malfunction at a private pool in the Thousand Oaks swimming school in California on Wednesday led to chlorine exposure of nearly 20 swimmers.

According to the Ventura County Fire Department, 12 out of at least 19 swimmers affected by the chemical exposure were transported to Los Robles Regional Medical Center and Simi Valley Hospital, after nine ambulances were called to the scene. The ages of those hospitalized were not immediately confirmed, CW-affiliated KTLA reported.

While officials had initially said eight of those affected were in critical condition, Ventura County Fire Captain Stan Ziegler later clarified that no one was critically injured, only some were more seriously hurt, needing “immediate” medical care, as opposed to others who were being treated for minor symptoms.

Ziegler added it was difficult to confirm exactly how many people were affected by the chlorine exposure. “These numbers are fluctuating — they’re changing,” Ziegler said. “We’re still trying to get a handle on exactly how many patients were affected.”

The fire department received calls about people in the private swim club, located along East Wilbur Road, Ventura County, California, being “overcome by fumes from the pool chemicals.” Four fire engines responded to the scene.

By 6:30 p.m. local time (9:30 p.m. EDT), multiple swimmers were facing difficulties in breathing — which was one of the many symptoms associated with chlorine poisoning.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: International Business Times, Pritha Paul