Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced at a press conference Tuesday that he will not seek re-election. Emanuel, who has been the city’s mayor since 2011, previously said he would run again and already raised $10 million in campaign funds. “I’ve decided not to seek re-election,” he said. “This has been the job of a lifetime, but it is not a job for a lifetime.” Emanuel faced criticism, especially from the city’s black community, for his handling of the Laquan McDonald shooting. He also controversially shuttered 50 Chicago public schools, mostly on the city’s South and West sides, in 2013. Among the people running to take his place is former Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy, who Emanuel fired after video was released of officer Jason Van Dyke shooting McDonald. McCarthy faces 11 other hopefuls. Emanuel had previously served as White House chief of staff under President Obama, who called Emanuel a “tireless and brilliant public servant” in a statement and touted Emanuel’s successes in improving city education.
SOURCE: The Daily Beast