Second Man Found Guilty in 2013 Fatal Shooting of 15-Year-Old Chicago Student Hadiya Pendleton

This undated family photo provided by Damon Stewart shows 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton of Chicago. Pendleton was shot and killed Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2013, in a Chicago park as she talked with friends by a gunman who apparently was not even aiming at her. Pendleton, who had performed in President Barack Obama’s inauguration festivities, is the latest face on the ever-increasing homicide toll in the president’s hometown. (AP Photo/Courtesy of Damon Stewart)

The man accused of fatally shooting 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton was found guilty of murder in Chicago on Thursday.

A Cook County jury delivered a guilty verdict against Michaeil Ward for first-degree murder and two counts of aggravated battery. As the verdict was read, Ward sat with a stoic look on his face.

Prosecutors said that in 2013, Ward fired a gun into a crowd at a Chicago park in retaliation against rival gang members, killing Pendleton.

He was the second defendant in the trial to be convicted. The getaway driver, Kenneth Williams, was also found guilty of first-degree murder and two counts of aggravated battery by another jury on Wednesday. The two were tried together, but had separate juries.

Police had said that Ward had confessed to shooting Pendleton and two others in a case of mistaken identity. His defense attorney had argued that Ward’s videotaped interrogation had been forced because police were under pressure to solve the crime quickly, according to CNN affiliate WLS.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: CNN, Brad Parks and Madison Park