Trump to Award Medal of Honor to Black Vietnam Veteran, 80 – Who Saved ‘Countless Lives’ During One of the Bloodiest Battles of the War 50 Years Ago – After He Was Rejected 10 Times for the Accolade

A Vietnam veteran will finally receive a Medal of Honor after being denied the award 10 times.

John Canley, 80, is a retired sergeant major who’s been credited with saving more than 140 Marines during one of the deadliest battles in the Vietnam War.

President Donald Trump called Canley on July 9 to share the news that the veteran living in Oxnard, California, will be receiving the nation’s highest military award.

‘He thanked me for my service and also wanted to thank my Marines for their service,’ Canley told Military.com.

The 80-year-old had previously been awarded a Navy Cross, two Bronze Stars and a Purple Heart for leading the 1st Battalion, 1st Marines through a week-long battle at Hue City in 1968.

He is credited with taking charge of his group after his commander was seriously injured and braving heavy enemy fire to bring his wounded brethren to safety.

‘I’m just happy that I could provide that,’ Canley said. ‘It was an honor.’

One of the more than 147 men Canley is credited with saving is former Pfc John Ligato, who has spent the last 15 years lobbying for the war hero to be given the Medal of Honor.

‘The Medal of Honor was rejected 10 times – never on the merits of what he did, it was always procedural,’ Ligato said.

‘He was totally fearless. He loved his Marines, and we loved him back.’

Click here to read more.
Source: Daily Mail