Joel Osteen’s Lakewood Church is the largest church in the U.S. with a budget to match.
It spent roughly $90 million during the fiscal year that ended March 31, 2017, according to a financial statement obtained by the Houston Chronicle for its “The Preacher’s Son” series. Here’s how:
- Weekly services and programs: $31.7 million
- Night of Hope events: $6.7 million
- TV ministry: $25.1 million
- General and administrative: $11.5 million
- Fundraising: $11.9 million
- Mission and outreach: $1.2 million
Pastor Joel Osteen puts a high priority on expanding the church’s reach and finding new adherents.
“That’s what we feel like the media does,” he told the Chronicle. “I know what my gifts are and where God has blessed me, and I’m trying to be a good steward of that.”
SOURCE: Katherine Blunt
Read more from “The Preacher’s Son” series at HoustonChronicle.com (subscription may be required).