Twenty Christian colleges, universities, and seminaries have raised $1.5 million in scholarships to offer minority students in Memphis as part of a new initiative in honor of Martin Luther King Jr., who was assassinated there 50 years ago today.
Organizers for MLK50: Gospel Reflections from the Mountaintop, a joint conference by The Gospel Coalition (TGC) and the Southern Baptist Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission (ERLC), will announce the “MLK50 Dream Forward Scholarship Initiative” this morning before 3,700 attendees at the Memphis event.
The program, which offers full and partial tuition scholarships to minority students “who demonstrate a heart for Christ and a potential for academic excellence,” is a way to extend the local impact of the commemorative two-day conference long-term.
“As we were planning and preparing for this event, we have been given wise counsel by a local advisory board consisting of pastors and ministry leaders. Early on, they asked if we would consider creating a legacy item, consistent with Dr. King’s work, specifically for the city of Memphis,” Brent Leatherwood, ERLC director of strategic partnerships, told CT.
“Time and again, the issue of education was consistently voiced as the one to engage. We agreed.”
The 20 participating schools—including several Baptist seminaries and evangelical colleges such as Wheaton and Gordon—raised the $1.5 million in available financial aid for the scholarships. Interested candidates can learn about eligibility and other details through the MLK50 Conference site following the conclusion of the event today.
There’s a possibility of offering scholarships to minority students in other cities as the program grows.
“We believe, for a number of schools, it actually will have a catalytic effect in that it will extend to other areas,” Leatherwood said. “But our hope is that Memphis will serve as both the anchor for this program and the starting point to launch it to other areas.”
The participating schools include:
- Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, Wake Forest, NC
- Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, KY
- Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL
- Dallas Baptist University, Dallas
- University of Mobile, Mobile, AL
- Bethlehem College and Seminary, Minneapolis
- Oklahoma Baptist University, Shawnee, OK
- Union University, Jackson, TN
- Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, IL
- North Greenville University, Tigerville, SC
- Gateway Seminary, Ontario, CA
- New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, New Orleans
- Blue Mountain College, Blue Mountain, MS
- Shorter University, Rome, GA
- Ouachita Baptist University, Arkadelphia, AR
- Missouri Baptist University, St. Louis
- Hannibal-Lagrange University, Hannibal, MO
- Gordon College, Wenham, MA
- Boyce College, Louisville, KY
- Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Kansas City, MO
The Dream Forward scholarships follow ongoing efforts by evangelical institutions to better engage, recruit, and support students of color, who have historically been a minority on campus.
Click here to read more.
Source: Christianity Today