Austin Bomber Recorded 25-Minute Video ‘Confession’ as Police Chased Him

Officials investigate the scene where a suspect in a series of bombing attacks in Austin blew himself up Wednesday in Round Rock, Texas.Eric Gay / AP

The Texas bombing suspect’s cellphone had a 25-minute video recording in which he described how he built each explosive device “with a level of specificity” that the Austin chief of police classified as “a confession” at a news conference late Wednesday.

The phone was found on the suspect after he died in an explosion early Wednesday as police closed in, Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said. In the recording, the suspect, Mark Anthony Conditt, described the bombs that he constructed to such a degree that he also explained how they differed, which is information that had not been released, Manley explained.

“He does not at all mention anything about terrorism or anything about hate,” Manley said, who added that the video did not necessarily clarify a motive.

“Instead, it is the outcry of a very challenged young man talking about challenges in his personal life that led him to this point,” he said.

Earlier on Wednesday, multiple senior law enforcement sources said that “exotic” batteries ordered online helped lead authorities to Conditt, as Austin police and federal agents worked around the clock with approximately 500 agents to track down the bombing suspect.

A criminal complaint filed before the suspect died identified him as Conditt, 23. (Police had said earlier that Conditt was 24.) Newly unsealed court records said Conditt would have been charged with receiving, possessing and transferring a destructive device.

Law enforcement remained at the scene around his home on Wednesday afternoon.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: NBC News, Andrew Blankstein, Tom Winter, Alexander Smith and Phil McCausland