A 12-year-old girl died and several others were injured after a natural gas explosion nearly leveled their Texas home early Friday morning.
Officials said the explosion occurred around 6:30 a.m. at a home on Espanola Drive in Dallas.
Dallas Fire-Rescue spokesman Jason Evans told reporters the family that lived in the home were all inside when the explosion happened and that at least four other people were hurt. The extent of their injuries is unknown.
Officials identified the young girl who died as 12-year-old Linda Michelle Rogers, who went by Michellita, Fox 4 News reported.
“Michellita was joyful. When she wasn’t there, you knew she wasn’t there,” Latoya Gibson, the girl’s cheerleading coach told the news station. “You would try to fill that energy, but her spirit was so bright.”
Neighbors told reporters the force of the explosion was so strong that they heard and felt it from several blocks away.
“I was sleeping when I heard like a big bomb,” Elisa Martinez, who lives next door to the home, told CBSDFW.com.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: Fox News, Lucia I. Suarez Sang