Richardson, TX, Police Officer Shot and Killed; Suspect Kills Another Man Before Surrendering

A 14-year veteran of the Richardson Police Department and a 30-year-old man were shot and killed Wednesday night in a double-fatal shooting at an apartment complex. 

Richardson police said Thursday morning officers were called at about 7 p.m. Wednesday to investigate a disturbance at the Breckinridge Point Apartments where gunshots had been heard.

Officers arrived at the community on the 4200 block of East Renner Road and found one person suffering from an apparent gunshot wound. A short time later, officers believed they had located the gunman in a nearby apartment and made entry into the residence.

As officers crossed the threshold, they were immediately under fire, according to Richardson Chief of Police Jimmy Spivey.

Spivey said one of the first officers into the apartment, 37-year-old David Sherrard, was struck and fell back out of the apartment. Several officers came to his aid and pulled him to safety. Other officers then attempted to enter the residence and they, too, were under fire.

Police retreated and the suspected gunman, later identified as 26-year-old Brandon De McCall, barricaded himself in the apartment, intermittently firing his weapon. Witnesses reported hearing several gunshots coming from inside the complex while officers kept residents inside their homes for their safety.

While negotiators began trying to reach the suspected shooter, Sherrard was transported to Medical City Plano for his injuries; Sherrard died sometime after 10 p.m., police confirmed. The victim of the initial shooting call, identified as 30-year-old Rene Gamez, was also hospitalized and died early Thursday morning.

“It’s a sad day for the Richardson Police Department. This is the first officer that has been killed in the line of duty in our department in our 63-year history. You can well imagine the emotional trauma that’s causing the department,” Spivey said.

The suspected shooter surrendered to police late Wednesday, after Sherrard died, and was heard yelling ‘I’m sorry’ as he was being taken into custody. Shortly after midnight, police announced Gamez had also died.

Click here to continue reading…