An elementary school in Staten Island, New York, has postponed and redesigned its traditional father-daughter dance due to gender neutral guidelines issued by the New York City Department of Education. Parents are warning, however, that the politically correct move goes too far.
The New York Post reported on Saturday that Parent Teacher Association President Tony Bennett has blamed the move on New York City’s DOE directives calling on schools to eliminate “gender-based practices” that do not have a clear educational purpose.
“Until we understand what we are legally permitted to do, we need to table this event,” Bennett told parents in a private group on Facebook, announcing the postponement of the Feb. 9 dance until March.
The “Father/Best Guy & Daughter Dance” will now be changed to something more “inclusive,” though PS 65 Principal Sophie Scamardella has claimed that the event’s move to March is also about wanting to host it at a “bigger venue.”
“The DOE … has strict guidelines about how we present information,” Scamardella wrote. “They have a ‘gender neutral’ policy that must be adhered to at all times.”
The principal recognized that parents have been complaining about the decision on Facebook and to local media but said there will be no reversal.
One of the most notable critics of the move has been Donald Trump Jr., a businessman and first son of President Donald Trump.
“If this doesn’t convince you that the PC/SJW movement has lost their minds, I don’t know what will. This nonsense really needs to stop,” Trump Jr. wrote in a tweet on Saturday, referring to the politically correct and social justice warrior movement.
CBS New York said both daughters and fathers were left disappointed, as some had been getting ready for the dance for months.
Click here to read more.
Source: Christian Post