Tom Petty Died of Accidental Overdose After Taking Several Medications

INGLEWOOD, CA – OCTOBER 10: Tom Petty of Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers performs onstage at The Forum on October 10, 2014 in Inglewood, California. (Photo by Paul R. Giunta/Getty Images)

Legendary singer-songwriter Tom Petty died from “an accidental drug overdose” due to taking several medications, his family has said in a statement.

“Our family sat together this morning with the Medical Examiner – Coroner’s office and we were informed of their final analysis that Tom Petty passed away due to an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications,” the family wrote in a Facebook post Friday.

The Hollywood Reporter reviewed a copy of the Los Angeles coroner’s report and confirmed that Petty’s death was the result of the accidental mixing of several drugs.

The family writes in the post that Petty had been suffering from pain emphysema, knee problems and a badly fractured hip, which he had been recuperating from while still on tour. On the day he died, his hip had become a “full on break,” the family says. “It is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication,” they write.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: The Hollywood Reporter, Katie Kilkenny