1. PNBC PR – The Progressive National Baptist Convention, Inc. (PNBC) condemns the violence that took the life of Heather Heyer, and injured other anti-protestors who rallied against the “Unite the Right” march of the KKK, white supremacists, and white nationalists in Charlottesville, VA. We extend our condolences to the families of Ms. Heyer, those who were injured, and the two officers. PNBC calls on faith-based organizations to join in their efforts to organize, strategize, and mobilize against hate, racism, and oppression and for freedom and justice for all.
2. NYT – Two women injured during the right-wing extremist protest last weekend in Charlottesville, Va., filed a lawsuit on Tuesday seeking damages from the rally’s organizer and more than two dozen leaders, groups and websites affiliated with the self-proclaimed alt-right. The suit was filed with the Circuit Court in Charlottesville by Tadrint Washington and her sister Micah Washington, who said they were physically and emotionally injured when a man the police have identified as James Alex Fields Jr., 20, of Ohio, plowed his Dodge Challenger into a throng of people who were protesting the “Unite the Right” rally on Saturday. Heather D. Heyer, 32, was killed, and several others were injured.
3. CP – A North Carolina pastor who is a descendant of Confederate General Robert E. Lee has said he believes his ancestor’s statues have become “a symbol of bigotry.” The Rev. Robert W. Lee IV, a pastor at Bethany United Church of Christ of Winston-Salem and the great-great-great-great-nephew of General Lee, told Huff Post that it “broke my heart to see a symbol of my family being used to allow such hate.” “These statues have morphed into a symbol of racism, a symbol of bigotry, a symbol of the alt-right, a symbol of white nationalist movements,” Lee told Huff Post earlier this week. “That is not okay and that can never be celebrated or honored in any way, whether you believe you should honor legacy or ancestors or not.”
4. LA Times – The woman who died Monday during a motorcycle stunt on the set of “Deadpool 2” has been identified as Joi “SJ” Harris, a groundbreaking black road racer who, according to her website, got her Class M license in 2009 and didn’t look back. Race-licensed in May 2013, she said she began competing in 2014 and was the first African American woman to participate in an American Motorcycle Assn.-sanctioned road-racing event.
5. Reuters – A woman blew herself up and killed 27 other people at a market in northeast Nigeria on Tuesday in an attack bearing the hallmark of Boko Haram militants, two local officials said. Two more suicide bombers detonated their devices at the gates to a nearby refugee camp, wounding many more people, an emergency services official said. In all, 83 people were wounded in the three explosions near the city of Maiduguri, the epicenter of the long conflict between government forces and Boko Haram.
6. Fox – A former Minnesota beauty pageant queen has been convicted for switching the price tags on clothing she bought from Macy’s. Jennifer Kline, a former Mrs. Minnesota — and later, Mrs. America — was convicted Tuesday of felony theft by swindle for creating an elaborate scheme that included conducting fraudulent returns. State law allows for Kline’s felony charge to carry up to five years in prison.
7. AP – Gunmen stormed one of Guatemala’s largest hospitals and opened fire early Wednesday in an attempt to free an imprisoned gang member, officials said. At least six people were killed and five were arrested. Carlos Soto, director of the Roosevelt Hospital in the capital, said an unknown number of attackers entered the facility in the morning and began shooting. Deputy hospital director Marco Antonio Barrientos told reporters that 12 people were wounded, including a child who underwent surgery and was in critical condition.
As you go throughout this day, keep this word in mind: Psalms 16:11 says, “Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.”
Oprah Winfrey said, “If you look at what you have in life, you’ll always have more. If you look at what you don’t have in life, you’ll never have enough.”
God loves you. He always has and He always will. John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” If you don’t know Jesus as your Saviour, today is a good day to get to know Him. Just believe in your heart that Jesus Christ died, was buried, and rose from the dead for you. Pray and ask Him to come into your heart and He will. Romans 10:13 says, “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Thanks so much for listening and may God bless your day!