1. BBC – North Korea says a plan that could see it fire four missiles near the US territory of Guam will be ready in a matter of days. State media said Hwasong-12 rockets would pass over Japan and land in the sea about 30km (17 miles) from Guam, if the plan was approved by Kim Jong-un. It denounced Donald Trump’s warnings of “fire and fury” and said the US leader was “bereft of reason”. The US has warned the North its actions could mean the “end of its regime”.
2. AP – Five migrants are dead and more than 50 are missing after smugglers forced them from a boat off the coast of Yemen in the second such drowning in two days, the U.N. migration agency said Thursday. The International Organization for Migration’s statement came less than a day after it said up to 50 migrants from Ethiopia and Somalia were “deliberately drowned” by a smuggler in a separate boat off Yemen. Up to 180 migrants were forced from the boat in the latest incident Thursday morning, the IOM said.
3. WSMV – A Christian academy in Brentwood is being accused of a big cover-up. A lawsuit claims a 12-year-old boy was being raped by older boys at Brentwood Academy. It also claims school officials knew about it and did nothing. It happened in 2015. The mother of the alleged victim said she went to counselors, teachers and the headmaster, but they all downplayed the incidents. The victim told his mother genitals were put in his mouth and behind. The lawsuit also says one of the older boys bragged about penetrating him with a sports drink bottle. According to the lawsuit, when the victim’s mother reported it to Headmaster Curt Masters, he said the boy should “turn the other cheek and “everything in God’s Kingdom happens for a reason.”
4. Independent Mail – Ousted NewSpring Church founder Perry Noble has filed paperwork for a nonprofit by the name of Second Chance Church. The new nonprofit, Second Chance Church, was filed in mid-July with the South Carolina Secretary of State’s office. The new nonprofit is filed with a different address than The Growth Company, which was incorporated by Noble last November and offers consultations and speaking engagements for churches. A coworker at The Growth Company said in an email that Noble would not be doing interviews until a later date.
5. CP – Susan Combs Pratt, wife of Senior Pastor Weston Pratt of Living Waters Full Gospel Church in Hazard, Kentucky, was indicted last week for embezzling $1.4 million from Mercy Clinic in Jackson where she worked as a registered nurse and office manager. Officials at Mercy Clinic, where Pratt worked for more than 12 years, declined to comment on the allegations Wednesday, but Kentucky District Attorney Darrell Herald told local news station WYMT that they were called in by officials from the clinic to investigate the theft. The case was then brought before a grand jury which indicted the pastor’s wife. She was arrested and charged with theft by failure to make required disposition of property. She is also alleged to have stolen the money over four years.
6. Daily Journal – Robert Clark, the first African American elected to the state Legislature since the 1800s, said his priority as a member was for everybody “to pull together for a better Mississippi.” Clark, age 88, reiterated that theme repeatedly during a ceremony Wednesday at the Old Capitol Museum commemorating the 50th anniversary of his historic election to the Mississippi House from rural Holmes County on the fringes of the Delta. The theme of the ceremony in front of about 340 people in a packed House chamber of the old Capitol was that in 50 years Mississippi has come a long way, but still has a long way to go.
7. One News Now – An Illinois-based pro-family activist says he’s appalled that the state’s Republican governor signed legislation designating “Barack Obama Day.” Gov. Bruce Rauner made it official, signing Senate Bill 55 which means beginning in 2018 Illinois will recognize August 4 as “Barack Obama Day.” Rauner says it won’t be a formal state holiday with paid time off but it will be a day of acknowledgment and celebration. Peter LaBarbera of Americans for Truth says Rauner is the perfect example of a “Rhino Republican.”
As you go throughout this day, keep this word in mind: Micah 6:8 says, “He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God.”
Eleanor Roosevelt said, “To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart.”
God loves you. He always has and He always will. John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” If you don’t know Jesus as your Saviour, today is a good day to get to know Him. Just believe in your heart that Jesus Christ died, was buried, and rose from the dead for you. Pray and ask Him to come into your heart and He will. Romans 10:13 says, “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Thanks so much for listening and may God bless your day!