American student Otto Warmbier speaks to reporters in Pyongyang, North Korea, Feb. 29, 2016. (Kim Kwang Hyon/AP/FILE)

President Trump called the death of Otto Warmbier, an American student who returned home last week after being detained in North Korea, a “disgrace” Tuesday.

“I think it’s a disgrace what happened to Otto,” Trump told reporters at the White House during a meeting with Ukraine’s President Petro Poroshenko, adding that Warmbier should have been brought home sooner.

Many other politicians and public figures also expressed dismay and outrage.

Warmbier, 22, was in a coma when he was released from North Korea. Doctors at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center examined him upon his return to Ohio and reported that he had severe brain damage and was in a state of unresponsive wakefulness.

“It is our sad duty to report that our son, Otto Warmbier, has completed his journey home. Surrounded by his loving family, Otto died,” his parents, Fred and Cindy Warmbier, wrote in a statement Monday.

“Unfortunately, the awful torturous mistreatment our son received at the hands of the North Koreans ensured that no other outcome was possible,” they said.

The Warmbiers added that they are “at peace” and “at home.”

The funeral service for Warmbier will be held on Thursday at Warmbier’s alma mater, Wyoming High School in Wyoming, Ohio, and will be open to the public, according to a release from the funeral home.

Many other politicians and public figures have responded to the Warmbiers’ announcement, offering their sympathies and condemning the actions of North Korea.

President Trump offered his “deepest” condolences to the family and condemned the “brutality” of the North Korean regime Monday in comments at the start of a meeting with top tech CEOs.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: ABC News, Dylan Wells and Paola Chavez

Advertisements