A total of 58 people are dead or missing, presumed dead following the devastating fire at Grenfell Tower in west London, police have said.
Commander Stuart Cundy said that number “may increase”. The BBC understands it could be around 70 people in total.
The recovery operation at the burnt-out block of flats has resumed and could take weeks, he said.
Meanwhile, PM Theresa May admitted support for families in the “initial hours” was “not good enough”.
The statement came after Mrs May met some of the people made homeless by the fire and volunteer helpers in Downing Street.
As they left Number 10, one representative spoke to reporters briefly, saying they would not make a full statement yet.
“We will be making this in the community, with the community,” he said. “We have had two-and-a-half hours with the prime minister in the last 48 hours and spoke about demands and what we expect.”
Earlier, residents caught up in the fire condemned the relief effort as “absolute chaos”.
In her statement, Mrs May said: “Frankly, the support on the ground for families who needed help or basic information in the initial hours after this appalling disaster was not good enough.”
She said phone lines would be better staffed and more staff would be deployed in the area.
They would wear high-visibility clothing so they can easily be found, dispense advice and ensure the right support is provided, she added.
Mrs May also said she expected to announce the name of the judge for a public inquiry within the next few days. The inquiry will report back to the prime minister.
She has also told councils to complete urgent safety checks on similar tower blocks.
- Latest updates: Anger mounting
- ‘Outrageous’ lack of help for victims
- What we know so far
- May ‘distraught’ about fire
- Trauma counselling for tower firefighters
- Who are the victims?
- Lily Allen and the row over the death toll
In the latest police update, Commander Cundy appealed again for anyone who managed to escape from the building to let authorities know they were safe.
Pictures and footage showing the inside of the tower would be released on Sunday to help people understand why the search was taking so long, he said.
The search of the building was briefly stalled for safety reasons but resumed on Saturday.
“As soon as we can, we will locate and recover loved ones,” he said.
SOURCE: BBC News