Afghan National Army (ANA) Commandos with the 207th Kandak are on a routine patrol on April 12 2009 in Gulistan district Farah province.(CJSOTF-A photo by Spc. Joseph A. Wilson.)
Afghan National Army (ANA) Commandos with the 207th Kandak are on a routine patrol on April 12 2009 in Gulistan district Farah province. (CJSOTF-A photo by Spc. Joseph A. Wilson.)

At least seven U.S. troops were wounded Saturday when an Afghan soldier allegedly fired on them inside a military compound in northern Afghanistan, the second apparent insider attack in a week.

The incident occurred around 2 p.m. local time, during a training exercise at Camp Shaheen in Mazar-e Sharif. The attacker, a commando assigned to the Afghan army’s 209th corps, allegedly fired three rocket-propelled grenades at the Americans before continuing the attack with two M4 carbines, an Afghan defense officials told Military Times. The assailant was later shot dead by an American armed with a pistol, the Afghan official said.

There are no American fatalities, according to a statement from the NATO command headquartered in Kabul. The wounded were evacuated and the incident is under investigation, officials said.

Saturday’s attack marks at least the second violent incident so far this month involving American personnel embedded with Afghan security forces. It comes exactly one week after an Afghan soldier allegedly opened fire on U.S. troops, killing three and wounding one. For the month of June, U.S. officials have reported at least three other Americans wounded in action in Afghanistan. Year to date, that number has now reached nearly 50.

It is significant, too, that the attacker at Camp Shaheen was a member of the Afghan army’s elite commando force. The U.S. strategy in Afghanistan focuses heavily on further developing these units, with plans well underway to double their size in coming years.

Click here to continue reading…

SOURCE: Shawn Snow and Andrew deGrandpre 
Military Times

Advertisements