Traders, police, tourists and locals gathered for a moment of silence at London’s Borough Market on Wednesday morning before ringing the opening bell for the first time since the terror attack there 11 days ago.
The normally bustling marketplace, packed with stalls peddling everything from artisan breads to aromatic curries and British charcuterie, had been boarded up since a vehicle and knife attack on June 3 left eight people dead.
“While the victims of last week’s terror attack will never be forgotten, and while the trauma experienced by this community will weigh heavily for a long time to come, it is essential for the well-being of everyone associated with Borough Market that we return to at least a semblance of normality as soon as we can,” Hyslop said in a statement.
“The stalls will open, customers will start to arrive, and the healing process will begin,” Hyslop said. “That healing process will require a vast well of empathy and support — something that we know exists here in abundance.”
Just days earlier, bullet holes were still visible in the shutters of some stalls where police fired on three knife-wielding assailants as they stormed nearby restaurants and pubs. The men, who have since been identified by police, were shot dead just under Borough Market’s iconic Stoney Street entrance.
Many walking to work through the area on Wednesday passed by a blue and white ‘Take Courage’ sign — a relic of the Courage & Co. brewery, which feels more poignant in the wake of the attack.
Piles of floral tributes and a rainbow-colored array of sticky notes have been left at the south end of London Bridge, where the attackers plowed their vehicle into pedestrians before making their way to the market below.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: CNN, Eliza Mackintosh