16-Year-Old South Carolina Teen Dies From Caffeine Overdose

A South Carolina coroner says too much caffeine caused the death of a healthy teenager.

Sixteen-year-old Davis Cripe collapsed last month at his high school and died at a hospital after consuming a large soft drink, a latte and an energy drink over a short period.

By all accounts, Davis was healthy and active. According to his father, he shunned drugs and alcohol, reports CBS News correspondent Tony Dokoupil.

A classmate who was with Davis the day he died, said he loaded up on caffeine — and “basically chugged” an energy drink during class.

Davis was a high school sophomore who found his rhythm while playing the drums.

“He was a great kid, he didn’t get mixed up in the wrong things – he loved music,” his father, Sean Cripe, said. “We worry about their safety, their health, especially once they start driving, but it wasn’t a car crash that took his life, instead it was an energy drink.”

While his initial autopsy required more testing, Richland county coroner Gary Watts, said Davis consumed a large soft drink, a latte and then an energy drink in less than a two-hour span, bringing on what he called a “cardiac event.”

Click here to read more.