Look out, CBS. FOX now has a new quarterback in its arsenal, too.
The network is inking former Bears quarterback Jay Cutler to a broadcasting deal, according to Good Morning Football‘s Peter Schrager. NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo first reported Cutler’s interest in leaving football for the broadcasting booth and added that Cutler would still be interested in playing if the opportunity to be the unquestioned starter came around. The former first-round pick is 34 years old.
“This got done in a hurry,” Garafolo said on Good Morning Football. “This went from flirtation with FOX to done deal in just a few hours.”
Speaking on WMVP-AM in Chicago on Friday afternoon, Cutler said he considers his move to broadcasting “permanent.”
“It is. I don’t really see anything else happening,” Cutler said. “I’m happy with where I am, you know, in my life and really in the future going forward. So, yeah, we can go ahead and say it. It’s permanent.”
Schrager noted that Cutler would be working a three-man outfit with Kevin Burkhardt and Charles Davis. This is by design, per Garafolo. Should a quarterback opening develop in the middle of the season, it would allow Cutler to exit broadcasting without disrupting the rhythm established by Burkhardt and Davis. Burkhardt previously worked with John Lynch, now the general manager of the San Francisco 49ers.
Garafolo received the following statement from Cutler: “I don’t know if retirement is the right word; I don’t feel that anyone ever really retires from the NFL. You are either forced to leave, or you lose the desire to do what’s required to keep going. I’m in between those situations at this point in my life.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: NFL, Conor Orr