House Church Leader Imprisoned In China Denied Emergency Treatment for Flesh-Eating Disease

A Christian house church leader imprisoned by authorities in China is in need of desperate hospitalization after coming down with a flesh-eating and debilitating disorder, his defense attorneys and wife are saying.

Pastor Yang Hua, who heads the the Living Stone house church in Guiyang, is one of seven Chinese Christians recently sentenced for distributing Christian devotionals. He was arrested in December 2015, tried last December on charges of “deliberately divulging state secrets” and sentenced to two-and-a-half years in prison.

According to China Aid, one of Yang’s defense attorneys met with him in prison on March 20 and was alarmed by the 41-year-old pastor’s deteriorating health condition. He explained that Yang needed to be carried into the meeting room by three of his cellmates, while his face expressed that he was in a lot of pain and seemed to be on the verge of paralysis.

Three days before the meeting, the attorney explained, Yang’s legs became inflamed and ulcers began spreading fast. The prison doctor diagnosed Yang’s condition to be a superficial skin infection, and only gave him painkillers and sent him back to prison.

The attorney returned to the prison last Friday to check up on his client and was informed that Yang had been given an examination at Guizhou Provincial People’s Hospital.

According to China Aid, Yang has issued a lengthy statement describing his condition.

“On March 17, ulcers began to appear on my legs. I reported it to the detention center, but the staff said they had seen this many times before, and that it was nothing more than ‘impetigo’ [an infectious, superficial bacterial skin infection],” Yang was quoted as saying. “On March 18, the resident doctor gave me some medication. By March 19, after the festering had spread, I again requested that the detention center provide proper treatment, such as injections or an IV.”

“On March 20 and 21, the physician on duty put me on an IV drip. The burning pain was so much at this point, however, that I couldn’t sleep for several nights. From around 3:30 to 4 a.m. on the 22nd, the agony was truly unbearable,” he continued. “I rang the alarm to report to the cadres on duty. Officer Luo, on watch that night, was furious at being disturbed and screamed some truly awful obscenities at me. No one else in the cell was able to sleep, so in the end the physician on duty gave me two painkillers. I haven’t been able to walk or go to the toilet by myself during this period.”

Yang explained that on the morning of March 22, he was brought to the hospital where he was diagnosed with allergic vasculitis (inflammation of the blood vessels). Yang said he was told that if a cure could not be found, his leg might need to be amputated above the knee.

On March 23, Yang was transported to a police hospital where he was evaluated by five doctors who recommended that authorities take him to a regular hospital.

“[The doctors] also indicated that the cost of treatment might be extremely high,” Yang said. “That day I submitted a written request for hospital treatment, asking the detention center authorities to quickly arrange it. On the morning of March 24, I was brought to the Guizhou Provincial People’s Hospital to have a blood and urine test. Though they had the results that morning, the guards refused to inform me of them except to say that the HIV/AIDS test had come back negative.”

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: The Christian Post
Samuel Smith