New York Times Says James Comey Has Asked Justice Dept. to Reject Trump’s Allegations of Wiretapping

FILE – In this Feb. 27, 2017 file photo, President Donald Trump speaks in the Roosevelt Room of the White House in Washington. Trump is accusing former President Barack Obama of having Trump’s telephones “wire tapped’’ during last year’s election, but Trump isn’t offering any evidence or saying what prompted the allegation. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais, File)

The New York Times is reporting that the director of the FBI has asked the Justice Department to publicly reject President Donald Trump’s assertion that Barack Obama as president ordered the tapping of Trump’s phones during the presidential campaign.

The Times reports on its website that senior American officials tell the newspaper that FBI Director James Comey has argued that the claim is false and must be corrected. No such statement has been issued by the Justice Department.

The Times reports that the officials say Comey wants the claim rejected publicly because it falsely insinuates that the FBI broke the law.

Trump made the allegation of tapped phones at Trump Tower in a series of tweets Saturday but cited no evidence. An Obama spokesman says the allegation is false.

A Justice Department spokeswoman declined to comment on the Times report.

Source: Associated Press