Triple-Murder Suspect Kills Himself After Standoff at Georgia Motel; Accomplice Turns Herself In

Authorities say one of two people wanted in the deaths of three women and the attempted killing of another, killed himself Tuesday afternoon, ending a standoff at a west Georgia motel and a multi-state crime spree.

Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan said he has been told that William Boyette has died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound and that Mary Rice surrendered and is in custody.

Law officials from the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office in Florida responded to a citizen tip Tuesday afternoon and found Boyette and Rice holed up at the West Point Motel in West Point, Ga., along with a car that was stolen Monday morning from Kayla Crocker’s home in Pensacola, Fla. Crocker, 28, was shot and is currently in critical condition.

According to Sgt. Smith with Troup County Sheriff’s Office, police made multiple attempts to contact Boyette and Rice inside the hotel with no luck.

Rice came out of the motel room where she was holed up with Boyette shortly after the Georgia SWAT team arrived. Within minutes of Rice being put in handcuffs and led away from the motel, police heard a single gunshot from inside the motel room, according to Troup County Georgia Sheriff James Woodruff.

Officers entered the room and found Boyette dead, Woodruff said.

The tip was received at about 2:30 p.m. today from a citizen who spotted the car that was being discussed in the media and on social media, Woodruff said. An officer was dispatched to the motel and confirmed it was the car stolen from Crocker.

A clerk at the motel told deputies that Rice checked into the motel Monday night under her own name. Deputies confirmed there were people inside the room because Boyette and Rice opened the curtains periodically and waved at law enforcement.

Deputies set up a perimeter around the hotel and just as SWAT was preparing to enter, Rice came outside, Woodruff said.

“We are always glad when something this seriously is resolved and no one is injured and no one is killed,” Woodruff told media gathered outside the motel. “We knew going in, them having killed several people already, that this could end very badly.”

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: USA Today, Pensacola News Journal