Trump’s Justice Department Files Notice of Appeal Seeking Emergency Stay of Ruling Blocking President’s Immigration Ban

The Trump administration on Saturday filed a notice of appeal indicating it intends to challenge a federal judge’s ruling that blocked President Donald Trump’s executive order that temporarily blocked entry to the U.S. of those from seven predominantly Muslim nations.

The notice was filed in the U.S. District Court of the Western District of Washington. It comes a day after a federal judge in Seattle issued a temporary restraining order that blocked the Trump travel restrictions.

The notice is not the appeal itself. The White House press secretary on Friday said the administration would seek an emergency stay against Judge James L. Robart’s restraining order, and defended the travel restrictions as legal.

Trump’s Jan. 27 order suspended for 90 days entry to the U.S. by people from seven predominantly Muslim countries. The order caused chaos at airports, and among those reported detained or turned away included students, professors, and green card holders.

Some 60,000 visas that had been canceled were deemed valid after the judge issued his ruling.

The International Air Transport Association said in a note to airlines earlier Saturday that restrictions were lifted and “it is as if the Executive Order never existed.”

Once the appeal is filed a judge will decide whether to grant the stay. If the stay is granted, the executive order would go back into effect.

Trump’s order suspended for 90 days entry to the U.S. of nationals of Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Iran, Iraq and Yemen. Trump said the order is necessary to protect Americans from terrorism. Critics have called it a “Muslim ban,” which trump has denied.

Meanwhile, visa holders from the seven affected nations rushed to airports or to make travel plans after a U.S. judge put the controversial order on hold, fearing that it was only a temporary reprieve.

Trump’s order suspended for 90 days entry to the U.S. of nationals of Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Iran, Iraq and Yemen. Trump said the order is necessary to protect Americans from terrorism. Critics have called it a “Muslim ban,” which trump has denied.

Meanwhile, visa holders from the seven affected nations rushed to airports or to make travel plans after a U.S. judge put the controversial order on hold, fearing that it was only a temporary reprieve.

Click here to continue reading…

SOURCE: PHIL HELSEL 
NBC News