Marie Osmond is walking back comments she made during a Tuesday interview with Yahoo when she suggested she’d be open to performing at Donald Trump’s inauguration on January 20.
In a Facebook message posted on Thursday, Osmond clarified her remarks saying she is not performing at the inauguration.
“Many of you have seen various stories saying that I volunteered or that I’m performing at the inauguration. So let me be clear!” the crooner wrote. “I had no intention of performing at this inauguration no matter who won!”
Osmond went on to say that she tries to “stay out of politics” — though Yahoo reported that she and her brother Donny had performed at Ronald Reagan’s first inauguration in 1981.
“I’m an entertainer my interview statement simply tried to be nice and promote a message of love,” she said, adding, “I love this great country.”
On Tuesday, she had told a Yahoo News reporter: “I think when it comes to our country we need to unite… I think we should all support our president whether we’re happy or sad. This is America.”
As TheWrap first reported, Trump’s team is having a tough time booking A-list performers for his inaugural balls in Washington D.C. later this month.
The list of performers who have so far declined to participate includes Garth Brooks, Celine Dion, Charlotte Church, Moby, Andrea Bocelli and Elton John.
So far the only acts that have been confirmed by the Trump inaugural teal are 16-year-old “America’s Got Talent” runner-up Jackie Evancho, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Radio City Rockettes.
Source: TheWrap | Itay Hod