Former Park Avenue Heiress Marianne Friedman-Foote Now Homeless


Marianne Friedman-Foote spends most nights in Central Park, wrapped in a sleeping bag – just a mile away from the $10million Park Avenue apartment where she grew up.

Friedman-Foote, 63, was once an Upper East Side heiress, the granddaughter of an affluent textile manufacturer in Manhattan.

She had a housekeeper, took ballet lessons and graduated from a prestigious New York prep school.

But after her mother’s death, the family fortune slipped between her fingers. Friedman-Foote faced depression, a heroin addiction – and, in August, an eviction that left her homeless.

‘I grew up in a home with a parlor. S**t does happen, doesn’t it?’ Friedman-Foote told the New York Post in a story published Monday.

She and her husband, Frank, have settled north of the Central Park Reservoir. They keep their belongings in trash bags and sleep on a foam mattress.

Friedman-Foote grew up at 940 Park Avenue. Her family owned an entire 4,000-square-foot floor of the Art Deco building. The apartment would now be worth $10million.

But it sold for only $3million when Friedman-Foote’s mother died, which she spent with her sister, Georgia.

The two girls were the granddaughters of Isidor Kaplan, a wealthy magnate of Manhattan’s textile industry.

Friedman-Foote doesn’t have fond memories of growing up in the fifties and sixties. Her mother had depression and sometimes had panic attacks.

‘I remember my mother sitting in her dressing room like that,’ Friedman-Foote told the New York Post before slouching on a park bench.

Friedman-Foote’s graduation photo, taken in 1971, shows her as a long-haired teenager, smiling and looking away from the camera. She was a dance student at the Upper West Side’s prominent Calhoun School.

Her grandfather died the following year and her mother sold the family business for millions.
Friedman-Foote meanwhile had left her childhood home. She graduated from Boston University, became a nurse and married her first husband.

The couple had a daughter named Giselle. But about three decades ago, Friedman-Foote’s husband, an FBI employee, had to move to New York for work.

They moved back to her childhood neighborhood and, not long after, separated.

Her husband moved to Florida and took Giselle with him. Friedman-Foote hasn’t seen her daughter since she was three.

‘I could tell you what she wore the day she left. She had a blue top and bottoms that had white crosses, checks, down the sides and everything. I can still see her,’ Friedman-Foote said.

‘It eats at me daily. And surely, when I see all the children in the park. Not good. This is where the sarcasm stops. And I’d like to get off this subject, please.’

Source: Daily Mail UK