National Guard Called Out in Charlotte as Police Shooting Protests Continue


Protests turned violent for a second night in Charlotte after Tuesday’s fatal police shooting of a black man. Late Wednesday, Gov. Pat McCrory declared a state of emergency for the city and deployed the National Guard and State Highway Patrol troopers to assist local police.

One person was shot at the protest and was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries, Medic said. The city initially reported that he died, but later retracted that, saying he was on life-support.

Medic said on Twitter that it was treating the patient for a gunshot wound en route to Carolinas Medical Center at about 8:45 p.m.

The person was shot in the area of North College and East Trade streets.

Medic said it was responding to “multiple incidents uptown related to the situation in the College Street area” but was no more specific.

The shooting was “civilian on civilian,” the city tweeted. “@CMPD did not fire shot.”

The Charlotte Clergy Coalition for Justice questioned the city’s account. The coalition said several of its members were just 10 feet from the victim when he was shot.

“I saw the man go down on the pavement,” Minister Steve Knight of Missiongathering Christian Church in Charlotte said in a statement from the coalition. “It was an ambush. The victim was shot while he stood between two ministers, and we believe he was shot by police. We would like to see surveillance video from the surrounding area that may have captured the shooting to determine who was responsible for the shooting.”

Moments earlier, police fired tear gas at protesters at the entrance to the Omni Hotel in uptown Charlotte. Loud booms sounded, and police said explosives had been used.

“Your life is in danger, you need to move!” police in riot gear yelled.

At 9:45 p.m., police fired rubber bullets at the crowd.

At the request of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney, the State Highway Patrol is sending in troopers to assist CMPD, Gov. Pat McCrory said late Wednesday.

“The state has many additional assets nearby to assist,” McCrory said. “Any violence directed toward our citizens or police officers or destruction of property should not be tolerated.”

N.C. Attorney General Roy Cooper said he spoke to Mayor Jennifer Roberts and offered her the full assistance of the N.C. Department of Justice. “Violence will not bring justice,” Cooper said. “I urge everyone in Charlotte tonight to heed the call for peaceful demonstration. Already tonight we have seen civilians, police and emergency responders injured. This must stop.”

Given the “ongoing civil unrest,” Bank of America told its employees not to report to their uptown offices on Thursday.

Shortly before 9 p.m., the Charlotte Area Transit System discontinued street car service, closed the uptown Transportation Center and moved it to Carson Street. Hours later, CATS stopped Lynx service and ended bus service at 12:30 a.m. Thursday.

CATS planned to operate normal bus/rail service later this morning.

Protests had remained peaceful in uptown on Wednesday, after the fatal police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott. But the scene turned chaotic after 8:30 p.m., when protesters went from Marshall Park to the EpiCentre dining and entertainment complex and the Omni on Trade Street.

Businesses in the EpiCentre closed hours earlier in anticipation of the protests. Police also blocked off streets as the situation deteriorated outside the Omni. The Charlotte Hornets NBA team store, a CVS and the EpiCentre Sundries were later looted.

Several hundred protesters had gathered at the Omni before tear gas began scattering the crowd.

Click here to continue reading…

The News & Observer