Donald Trump is ending a practice most journalists think he never should have started: his “blacklisting” of news outlets.
Effective on Thursday, the Trump campaign says it will approve requests for press credentials from The Washington Post, BuzzFeed, Politico, and other news organizations that were previously blocked by Trump.
A campaign spokeswoman confirmed the change on Wednesday. Trump provided a cheeky statement to CNN about the restoration of credentials: “I figure they can’t treat me any worse!”
Leaders of some of the affected newsrooms were glad to hear of the change, but said it shouldn’t have been necessary at all.
“Access to a major party’s presidential campaign events shouldn’t be a favor to be granted or withheld,” Politico editor Susan Glasser said.
“It is important to remember that this was an absurd policy to begin with and a dangerous precedent for any campaign to have set,” Huffington Post senior politics editor Sam Stein said.
Several Trump aides, including campaign manager Kellyanne Conway, had been lobbying behind the scenes for a loosening of the restrictions against the Post and other news organizations.
Trump’s running mate Mike Pence said five weeks ago that he was looking into the issue.
The so-called “blacklist” took hold last year, when the campaign denied press credential requests from The Huffington Post and the Des Moines Register.
The Daily Beast, BuzzFeed and Politico‘s credential requests were also rejected by the campaign. At various points Univision has also been blocked.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: CNN Money, Brian Stelter