Tropical Storms Forming Near Carolinas, Gulf Coast Threatened

636079790854767235-two-atl-0d0

A tropical depression formed Sunday off the East Coast and could hit the Outer Banks as a tropical storm by Tuesday, while a separate system threatens parts of the flood-ravaged Gulf Coast this week.

Tropical Depression 8 could develop into Tropical Storm Hermine (her-MEEN), the National Hurricane Center said Sunday morning. A tropical storm watch may be posted later in the day.

It was 405 miles southeast of Cape Hatteras, N.C., with winds of 35 mph and moving west at 9 mph,

Drenching showers, thunderstorms and rough surf will threaten the Carolina coast this week, AccuWeather meteorologist Ed Vallee said.

Meanwhile, the Gulf Coast could see impacts from another system that might bring additional rain to states such as Louisiana, which is still reeling from deadly floods this month that killed 13 people and destroyed thousands of homes.

The Gulf Coast threat comes from a swirling mass of clouds and thunderstorms south of Florida (labeled by the hurricane center as “Invest 99L”) that’s been watched closely for 10 days by meteorologists. As of Sunday morning, the system had a 40% chance of developing into a tropical depression or hurricane within the next two days and a 60% chance within the next five days, the center said.

Click here to read more

Source: USA Today |  Doyle Rice