At least 24 funeral mourners have been killed and 30 others wounded in a barrel bomb attack in a rebel-held area of Aleppo, according to activists, taking the death toll of civilians in the northern Syrian city in recent days to more than 60.
The Syrian civil defence, a volunteer rescue group also known as the White Helmets, told Al Jazeera that Syrian government and Russian warplanes hit on Saturday a group of people gathered in the al-Maadi neighbourhood to mourn the death of 15 women and children killed in a raid earlier this week.
“The first round of barrel bombs came down during the funeral,” said Ibrahim al-Hajj, the media centre director for the Syria civil defence.
“Those who survived headed in the direction of the shelter nearby. They were about to enter the shelter when they were hit with another round of barrel bombs, and they all dropped to the floor,” said al-Hajj.
The latest deaths bring the number of Aleppo civilians killed in raids in recent days to at least 62, activists said.
On Thursday, at least 15 women and children, all from the same family, were killed when warplanes targeted their home in Bab al-Nairab.
“They were having breakfast together when their home was hit with barrel bombs.
“There were 11 children and four women, all dead,” said al-Hajj, who accompanies the volunteers during their rescue efforts to document the details of each attack.
A civilian death toll of 23 was also recorded on Friday in Syrian and Russian air raids across Aleppo, monitoring groups said.
Aleppo has been divided between opposition control in the eastern half and government control in the west since mid-2012.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: Al Jazeera