One of three London schoolgirls who traveled to Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) territory in Syria to become “jihadi brides” is believed to have been killed in an airstrike, a lawyer for her family says.
Tasnime Akunjee told the BBC that Kadiza Sultana’s family had been told that she died in the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa several weeks ago. He said the family was “devastated.”
He said the death has not been confirmed. Akunjee did not immediately respond to messages from The Associated Press.
Sultana was 16 when she and classmates Shamima Begum and Amira Abase — both 15 — traveled to Syria in February 2015 without telling their families. Their distraught relatives made emotional public appeals for them to come back.
ITV News, which first reported Sultana’s death on Thursday, broadcast phone calls between Sultana and her sister in Britain, in which Sultana said she wanted to return to Britain but could see no way of escape.
“I don’t have a good feeling. I feel scared,” Sultana said in one call. “You know the borders are closed right now, so how am I going to get out?”
Her sister, Hamila Khanom, told ITV: “We were expecting this in a way. But at least we know she is in a better place.”
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: CBS News