Angela Merkel is to come under renewed criticism of her open-door immigration policy after another horrific attack on German soil.
Tonight a Syrian refugee wielding a machete has killed a pregnant woman and injured two other people before being arrested by police.
The attack happened in the south western city of Reutlingen near a doner kebab stand in a bus station at Listplatz Square.
German media have been reporting that the motive for the attack in the city south of Stuttgart was unclear.
The attack comes just days after a young Afghan swung an axe at passengers on a train in Bavaria.
The 17-year-old, who a witness said shouted ‘Allahu Akbar’ (God is Great) during the attack, severely wounded four Hong Kong residents on the train late on Monday, then injured a local woman after fleeing, before police shot him dead.
He had entered Germany last summer with waves of migrants, raising more questions about Chancellor Merkel’s open-door refugee policy.
Around one million migrants came to the country in 2015, many fleeing war in Afghanistan, Syria and Iraq.
The viscous cases are likely to further deepen worries about so-called ‘lone wolf’ attacks in Europe and could put political pressure on Merkel.
The Afghan attacker came to Germany as an unaccompanied minor and was registered as a refugee on June 30 last year in Passau.
Frank Decker, political scientist at Bonn University, said: ‘In the minds of many people, his arrival is directly linked to Merkel and her liberal refugee policies.’
Source: Daily Mail UK