The NBA has pulled the 2017 NBA All-Star Game out of Charlotte because of its objection to North Carolina House Bill 2, The Vertical reported Thursday.
Channel 9 is working to confirm that the league is pulling the game from Charlotte.
The game was expected to have an economic impact upwards of $100 million, but NBA commissioner Adam Silver said last month that the league is looking at other venues for the event.
Losing the All-Star Game would be another blow to Charlotte, which lost hundreds of jobs when PayPal halted plans for expansion into the city.
Technology executives from companies such as Google, PayPal and Pinterest sent a letter to Silver earlier this month urging him to move the game if the law isn’t changed.
Gov. Pat McCrory didn’t express concern earlier this month for losing the game.
“I respect people’s opinions on both sides of this issue. It’s a complex issue which is going to be resolved in the courts,” McCrory said.
Hotels, restaurants and entertainment venues are bracing for a loss of some much anticipated revenue. Sid Smith with the Charlotte Area Hotel Association spoke to Channel 9 by phone. He said losing the game could put hotels in a pinch.
“We have to hold the rooms, so who knows what might be sellable or who knows, the All-Star game might be here,” he said. “If they pull out, then we just have less time to try to fill those openings.”
City leaders said they continue to sell Charlotte as the place to be, while they wait to see if the NBA will believe them.
Click here for more on this story.
SOURCE: WSOC TV