The man who filmed the chokehold death of Eric Garner is likely heading to prison for four years, the Daily News has learned.
Ramsey Orta, 24, who was in Manhattan Criminal Court to collect paperwork Wednesday, said he’s pleading guilty in his 2014 Staten Island weapons and drug case on Thursday and is preparing to head upstate as part of a plea deal.
“I’m supposed to be copping out,” said Orta, who has previously argued that he’s a target of the NYPD for videotaping Garner’s death at the hands of Officer Daniel Pantaleo about two years ago.
“I’m pretty much tired of fighting,” he added.
Orta, who has been arrested several times since shooting the famous footage also in 2014, recently had a domestic violence case dismissed by Manhattan prosecutors.
Authorities had said he roughed up and threatened his wife Jessica on Feb. 13 at their Baruch Houses apartment.
It was not immediately clear why the prosecution was dropped but Orta and his spouse have since said that they are on good terms.
He was accompanied at the courthouse by Kevin Moore, 30, a fellow member of the Copwatch organization who is known for having filmed the death of Freddie Gray in Baltimore.
Source: New York Daily News | SHAYNA JACOBS