Wilmington Police Chief Bobby Cummings said during a brief press conference Friday that authorities are not yet ready to file charges in connection with the the beating death of a 16-year-old girl in her Delaware high school’s bathroom.
Cummings said investigators have conducted “scores of interviews” and examined cellular and forensic data related to the death of sophomore Amy Joyner-Francis, who was assaulted in a girls’ restroom on April 21, at the Howard High School of Technology in Wilmington.
“All these pieces go into making a strong case,” Cummings said. “Unlike TV, these things actually do take time.”
School officials suspended three girls allegedly involved in the fight. Authorities have indicated students will be charged in the case, but it is not clear when those charges will be filed.
The girls have been out of Howard High School of Technology since the deadly assault last week, which was captured on video, shocking the Wilmington community.
The cellphone video showed Joyner-Francis on her knees in the bathroom while she was allegedly beaten by a group of girls using their bare hands, reports CBS Philly. Joyner was airlifted to a local hospital, where she died shortly after arriving.
Cummings said no weapons were used in the attack.
School officials hosted parent meetings this week to help address concerns about violence and discuss the counseling services available at the school.
Police issued a statement Wednesday at the request of the victim’s family urging people not to fall prey to Internet scammers purportedly trying to raise money for the family. The statement says the family has not and will not set up any online fundraisers or GoFundMe accounts.
Funeral services for Joyner-Francis are scheduled for Sunday in Wilmington.
SOURCE: CBS News, The Associated Press