South Korea on Thursday said it will resume cross-border propaganda broadcasts, after its northern neighbor claimed it successfully tested its first hydrogen bomb.
Seoul said the broadcasts, which North Korea considers an act of war, will begin Friday.
Cho Tae-yong, deputy chief of South Korea’s presidential office of national security, told reporters that the test is a “grave violation” of a deal reached between the two neighbors in August to defuse tensions after a landmine at the border injured two of the South’s soldiers.
The deal included a pledge by the South to stop anti-North broadcasts along the border. Further high-level talks last month ended without any agreement.
Cho said South Korean troops are combat-ready and will “sternly retaliate” if provoked by the North, the Yonhap news agency reported.
South Korean and American military officials discussed the deployment of U.S. “strategic assets” following the test, the South’s Defense Ministry said Thursday.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: USA Today, Jane Onyanga-Omara