The number of people falling ill to food poisoning symptoms linked to a shigella outbreak at a Mexican seafood restaurant in San Jose has risen to more than 80, health officials said Wednesday.
County health authorities closed Mariscos San Juan restaurant in downtown San Jose on Sunday after several people showed up severely ill at area hospitals over the weekend.
All the patients had eaten at the restaurant at 205 N. Fourth St. sometime Friday or Saturday before coming down with the extremely infectious bacteria that causes painful diarrhea and fever.
Fifteen people were confirmed to be infected with the bacteria through laboratory testing. Twelve of the patients were in intensive care.
The popular restaurant was shut down while authorities work to determine the origin of the outbreak.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: San Francisco Chronicle, Evan Sernoffsky