October 13th is National M&M Day!
Here are today’s five thing to know about M&Ms:
- From 1976 to 1985, there were no red M&Ms
- Blue M&Ms were introduced in 1995.
- M&Ms were taken along on the first space shuttle voyage in 1982.
- There are 340 million M&M’s produced daily.
- The “M&M” was modeled after a candy Forrest Mars, Sr. encountered while in Spain during the 1930s. During the Spanish civil war there, he observed soldiers eating chocolate pellets with a hard shell of tempered chocolate. This prevented the candies from melting, which was essential when included in soldiers rations as they were.
Click here for more.