Palestinians Kill 3 Israelis as ‘Days of Rage’ Intensify; 16 Injured in Bus Attack


Three Israelis were killed and dozens injured in a series of Palestinian attacks Tuesday, sparking calls by Israeli officials to cordon off Arab neighborhoods and bring more troops into the city amid rising bloodshed and unease.

Almost two weeks of daily violence, including a spate of attacks by knife-wielding Palestinian teenagers, has left Israelis deeply shaken and fearful of another sustained Palestinian uprising.

The current escalation was sparked, in part, by Palestinian resentment over access restrictions at the al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem’s Old City, at a site revered by Muslims and Jews. Palestinians are also frustrated by their own weak leaders and almost 50 years of military occupation. The latest round of U.S.-brokered peace talks collapsed last year in failure.

Both Israeli and Palestinian leaders accuse the other of incitement, but Palestinian leaders appear to have little control over the actions of the mostly young attackers.

In the most serious attack Tuesday, two Palestinian assailants boarded a bus in the Jerusalem neighborhood of Armon Hanatziv and began shooting and stabbing passengers, Israeli police said. Medics and police reported two Israelis were killed and 16 wounded, several seriously.

The attack harkened back to early last decade — during the second Palestinian uprising, or Intifada — when buses were among the main targets.

During the bus attack the Palestinians managed to lock the doors of the vehicle, Israeli media reported. One of the Palestinians was shot dead at the scene, and the other was wounded, said police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld. The assailant later died of his wounds.

Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat called for police to restrict movement in Palestinian neighborhoods in mostly Palestinian East Jerusalem, Israel’s Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan said he was considering such a move.

In addition to the bus attack, a Palestinian rammed his car into a crowded bus stop in Jerusalem’s ultra-Orthodox neighborhood of Geula. The attacker was an employee of Israel’s national phone company Bezeq, police said, and was driving one of the company’s cars.

Click here to continue reading…