Rebels in Yemen Release American, Saudi, and British Hostages

yemen-rebels

Yemen’s Shiite Houthi rebels have released six foreigners whom they were holding hostage and they are flying out of the country’s capital Sanaa, airport officials and Houthi officials said Sunday.

The airport and Houthi officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to reporters, said the six are flying to the Gulf nation of Oman, which negotiated their release.

The officials said the hostages, who were detained earlier this year, are three Americans, two Saudis and a British national. The identities of the hostages were not immediately known.

Officials from the Houthi media center refused explain why they had detained the hostages. But at least one of them is a journalist, whom they said “entered the country illegally” and “worked without notifying the authorities.”

Meanwhile, Houthi spokesman Mohammed Abdel Salam held a press conference at the airport and refused to confirm the hostages’ release.

“If we were to release anyone, it would be in exchange for the release of Houthis,” he said, without specifying which authorities he was addressing.

The conflicting information could not immediately be reconciled.

The U.S. Embassy in Muscat and the British Foreign Office were unable to immediately confirm the hostages’ release. Omani officials could not be immediately reached for comment.

In June, American freelance journalist Casey Coombs, who was held by the rebels, was set free. Following Coombs’ release, which Oman mediated, State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said they were working to win the release of several Americans detained in Yemen.

Last month, the United Arab Emirates helped free British petroleum engineer Robert Douglas Semple, who had been held for 18 months after being kidnapped by al-Qaida in Yemen, which has expanded its reach in the country amid the fighting between Houthis and their opponents.

Yemen has been torn by a ferocious war pitting the Houthis and forces fighting for former President Ali Abdullah Saleh against fighters loyal to exiled President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, as well as southern separatists, local militias and Sunni extremists. The conflict escalated in March as a Saudi-led, U.S.-backed coalition launched airstrikes against the Houthis.

Meanwhile in the western province of Ibb, the Saudi-led coalition’s airstrikes against a Houthi stronghold and prison facility killed 11 and wounded more than 50 rebels and civilians, security officials and witnesses said.

Sunday’s airstrikes hit a security directorate where the rebels held more than 300 prisoners underground, said the officials, who remain neutral in the conflict that has splintered the country’s security forces.

Many managed to escape, but dozens remain buried under the rubble, they added. Many of the confirmed dead, witnesses said, were onlookers who had gathered around the building following the first strike, only to be hit by the second.

All officials and witnesses spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to brief reporters.

SOURCE: Ahmed Al-Haj 
AP

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s