South Korea’s military has promised “searing” consequences in retaliation for land mine blasts last week that maimed two of its soldiers on the Seoul-controlled southern part of the Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ).
The army’s announcement didn’t go into specifics about what exactly is planned, though included is the resumption of propaganda broadcasts across the border towards rival North Korea for the first time since 2004.
As a result of Tuesday’s explosions, one soldier had to have part of each of his legs amputated, according to the South Korean Defense Ministry, while the other had his foot removed at the ankle. The two had been on a routine patrol near a wire fence in the southern side of the border.
In a statement, the Joint Chiefs of Staff said planting the land mines was “a clear violation of the armistice agreement and the non-aggression agreements between the South and the North.
“As previously warned on many occasions, our military will make North Korea pay the equally pitiless penalty for their provocations.”
“North Korea will pay a harsh price proportionate to the provocation that North Korea made,” Major General Koo Hong-mo, director of operations of the South’s Joint Chiefs of Staff, said on Monday.
SOURCE: VICE News