Our key Bible passage today is Galatians 2:20: “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”
Our lesson today is titled “The Law and the Christian Life, Part 2”
In our last lesson, we talked about the three things that the law did for a person living in Old Testament times. The law does the same three things for us today that it did for people in the Old Testament.
1. The law shows us what sin is.
2. The law condemns us.
3. The law shows us that we need Christ as our Saviour.
Now, we have come to see the purpose of the law. The purpose of the law is to bring us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. The Bible says, “Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.”
We have seen that the law brings us to Christ. Now let’s see what Christ did for us when He saved us.
1. Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law.
2. Christ delivered us from the dominion of the law.
3. Christ came back to live in us.
What do these three key things mean?
1. Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law. The law demanded perfect obedience. Those who broke God’s holy law came under the curse of the law. The Bible says, “Cursed is every one who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.” Because we had broken God’s law, we were condemned to death, but Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law. He did this by His death for us. He bore the penalty of the broken law for us. Galatians 3:13 says, “Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us…”
2. Christ delivered us from the dominion of the law. Christ not only delivered us from the curse of the law, but He also delivered us from the dominion of the law—that is, He delivered us from the old creation in Adam where the law reigns over men. Romans 6:14 says, “For sin shall not have dominion over you: for you are not under law, but under grace.”
3. Jesus came back to live in us. As God’s children, we show our Heavenly Father that we love Him by keeping His commandments. But how can we keep God’s commandments? The Lord Jesus has done something to make this possible—He came back to live in us by the power of the Holy Spirit. He came back that He might fulfill the righteous requirements of the law in us through the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 8:11 tells us that the Spirit which raised up Christ now dwells in us. First Corinthians 3:16 says, “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?”
Under the law we tried to keep God’s righteous requirements but failed. Now the Lord Jesus has come to live in us, and He says, “I will fulfill them in you.” Nothing can be greater than knowing that we are not on our own when it comes to obeying God’s laws. We have Jesus Christ Himself living inside of us through the Holy Spirit, and He helps us obey.
If the Lord tarries His coming and we live, we will continue this lesson in our next class.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
If you do not know Jesus Christ as your Saviour, John 3:16 states, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
The Bible also says in Romans 10:9 and 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved…. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
If you believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead, and you want to trust Him for your salvation today, please pray with me this simple prayer: Holy Father God, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. I am sorry for my sins, and I want to turn from my sins. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. I trust Him as my Savior and follow Him as Lord from this day forward. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you just trusted Jesus Christ as your Saviour, and you prayed that prayer and meant it from your heart, I declare to you that based upon the Word of God, you are now saved from Hell and you are on your way to Heaven. Welcome to the family of God! I want to congratulate you on doing the most important thing in life and that is receiving Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour. For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
Until next time, May the Lord Bless You!
Daniel Whyte III has spoken in meetings across the United States and in over twenty-five foreign countries. He is the author of over forty books. He is also the president of Gospel Light Society International, a worldwide evangelistic ministry that reaches thousands with the Gospel each week, as well as president of Torch Ministries International, a Christian literature ministry which publishes a monthly magazine called The Torch Leader. He is heard by thousands each week on his radio broadcasts/podcasts, which include: The Prayer Motivator Devotional, The Prayer Motivator Minute, as well as Gospel Light Minute X, the Gospel Light Minute, the Sunday Evening Evangelistic Message, the Prophet Daniel’s Report, the Second Coming Watch Update and the Soul-Winning Motivator, among others. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Theology from Bethany Divinity College, a Bachelor’s degree in Religion from Texas Wesleyan University, a Master’s degree in Religion, a Master of Divinity degree, and a Master of Theology degree from Liberty University School of Divinity. He has been married to the former Meriqua Althea Dixon, of Christiana, Jamaica for over twenty-seven years. God has blessed their union with seven children. Find out more at www.danielwhyte3.com. Follow Daniel Whyte III on Twitter @prophetdaniel3 or on Facebook.