11-Year-Old Charged With Manslaughter

(Photo: Family photo via GoFundMe)
(Photo: Family photo via GoFundMe)

A defense attorney has asked for a competency hearing for an 11-year-old boy charged with manslaughter in the shooting death of a 3-year-old this week.

The request was made at a pre-trial hearing Wednesday afternoon before Wayne County Juvenile Court Referee Anthony Crutchfield, who set a $5,000 or 10 percent bond for the juvenile.

According to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, at about 1:40 p.m. Monday the two boys were playing with a gun in a yard in the 16000 block of Eastwood when the 11-year-old fatally shot the 3-year-old, police said.

The prosecutor charged the older boy with manslaughter: death by weapon aimed with intent but without malice and felony firearm.

“I cannot remember a time where we have charged someone so young with taking a life,” Wayne County Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy said in a statement.

“Very unfortunately and very tragically, the alleged facts in this case demanded it. The charged respondent here will remain in the juvenile system, but the case remains under investigation. As a result of that, I will not say more at this time.”

Earlier this week, relatives said the 3-year-old had been visiting the home with his mother. Police said the 11-year-old’s father was at the house and apparently showed them the gun.

Click here to continue reading…

SOURCE: George Hunter
The Detroit News

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s