Our passage from the Word of God today is Ephesians 4:26-27. It reads, “Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: Neither give place to the devil.”
Our quote for today is from John Chrysostom. He said, “No matter how just your words may be, you ruin everything when you speak with anger.”
Our problem today is “The Problem of Anger in Your Life” (part 3) from the book, “The Guide to Biblical Counseling” by Dr. Tim Clinton and Dr. Ron Hawkins.
Today, we will go through an Assessment and discuss some General Questions on Aging:
When people seek help for anger, the problem is often already out of control. Also such persons may be experiencing shame and perhaps even fear because they do not yet understand how to identify and control their angry feelings. It is important to ask the rule-out questions which we will discuss today to see if the problem is rooted in something other than anger.
Here Are the Rule Out Questions:
Depression has often been described as “anger turned inward”. Both men and women can express their anger as depression.
1. If 10 is extreme depression, and 1 is no depression, where are you today on a scale of 1 to 10?
Substance abuse is often an accompanying issue.
2. Are you ever under the influence of alcohol or drugs when you experience anger? Do you use alcohol or drugs to avoid feelings of anger?
Now, here are some General Questions to consider as we deal with the topic of anger:
1. What makes you angry?
2. How do you express your anger? Is the way you are expressing your anger working?
3. What is your first memory of feeling out of control when you got angry?
4. Do you ever take any action to redirect your anger to a nonrelated activity?
5. Are you ever able to calm your anger? If so, how?
6. Has anger created any health issues?
7. How did you see anger expressed during childhood?
8. Could there be anger from your past that is affecting you now?
9. What was it like to be on the receiving end of someone else’s anger?
10. How is the way you express your anger harming you in your relationships?
11. How often do fights get physical?
12. When you get angry, how safe do you feel? How safe do those around you feel?
13. Do others see anger in you that you do not?
14. Do you have anyone with whom to talk about your anger?
15. Will you consider forgiving the people with whom you are angry?
16. Do you pray to God about your anger?
17. Do you ever allow your anger to escalate?
18. Do you deal with your anger “before the sun goes down?”
Daniel Whyte III has spoken in meetings across the United States and in over twenty-five foreign countries. He is the author of over forty books. He is also the president of Gospel Light Society International, a worldwide evangelistic ministry that reaches thousands with the Gospel each week, as well as president of Torch Ministries International, a Christian literature ministry which publishes a monthly magazine called The Torch Leader. He is heard by thousands each week on his radio broadcasts/podcasts, which include: The Prayer Motivator Devotional, The Prayer Motivator Minute, as well as Gospel Light Minute X, the Gospel Light Minute, the Sunday Evening Evangelistic Message, the Prophet Daniel’s Report, the Second Coming Watch Update and the Soul-Winning Motivator, among others. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Theology from Bethany Divinity College, a Bachelor’s degree in Religion from Texas Wesleyan University, a Master’s degree in Religion, a Master of Divinity degree, and a Master of Theology degree from Liberty University School of Divinity. He has been married to the former Meriqua Althea Dixon, of Christiana, Jamaica for over twenty-seven years. God has blessed their union with seven children. Find out more at www.danielwhyte3.com. Follow Daniel Whyte III on Twitter @prophetdaniel3 or on Facebook.