The Bible says in James 1:27 that “Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.”
In the spirit of Tony Evans’ Adopt-a-School program, every Bible-believing church ought to adopt a family — particularly families of single mothers with children and struggling families with a young husband and wife. Here is an outline of how to do this.
1. After determining how many families your church can adopt, begin accepting applications from families in the community.
2. Offer the family or families the following:
A. A great job that fits their skills or help them to start a family business that fits their talents and abilities.
B. A new house in a great neighborhood.
C. Access to a Christian education for their children. If the parents do not have an accredited college degree or if they want to go back to college, guide them through enrolling in college online at Liberty University or some other accredited Christian college.
D. Encourage them to establish good, healthy eating practices and provide access to good health care. Hook them up with your doctor and your insurance company.
Of course, there are some things the adopted family would need to do to receive these blessings.
1. Attend church faithfully.
2. Tithe faithfully. (This can be set up to come out automatically from their paycheck.)
3. The head of household must work. (If the head of household is a single mother or single father, the church should help ensure that the children are taken care of while they are not in school and while they are not at home with their parent.)
4. Every person in the family must complete their course of education — elementary school, high school, or college, depending on the age.
By churches stepping up and helping families in these practical ways, they can become the stabilizing backbone of their communities. They can also ensure that a positive, Christian influence remains in the family and in the community for years to come.
Unfortunately, none of this will probably be done because as the Bible says in Matthew 24:12, “because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold”. This is the case in both the black church and the white church. However, “with God nothing shall be impossible” (Luke 1:37).
– BCNN1 Editors