Eighteen students received minor injuries when a child lit a firework inside a trash can at a Southern California school.
Riverside County firefighters were called Friday morning to Ethan Chase Middle School in Menifee, a city of more than 80,000 about 80 miles southeast of Los Angeles.
A statement on the school’s website says a student lit the firework around 10 a.m. It’s unclear where the student got it.
Firefighters say the injured students were being screened and released to parents or transported to local hospitals. No information on the nature of their injuries was immediately available.
The school was evacuated as a precaution. The school says all students are safe and accounted for.
The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department didn’t immediately return a call seeking comment.
SOURCE: The Associated Press