12 Injured, 3 in Critical Condition, from Building Explosion and Collapse in NYC


An apartment building exploded and burst into flames Thursday in New York City’s East Village, injuring at least a dozen people, three of them critically, in what authorities said was a possible gas-related incident.

Flames could be seen shooting out of the top of the five-story building at 2nd Ave. and 7th Street, which partially collapsed shortly after the explosion at 3:20 p.m. Items from a ground-floor sushi restaurant were blown into a street, and the explosion was so forceful that it blew the door off a cafe across the avenue. Rubble, glass and debris littered sidewalks, and smoke could be seen and smelled for miles.

The FDNY reported it as a seven-alarm fire. Authorities said no firefighters or civilians were missing.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said at an early evening press conference that a preliminary report from utility Con Edison indicated that it was a gas-related explosion caused by plumbing and gas work. But he said it was too soon to speculate what, exactly, caused the blast.

“Until we know what happened here, we cannot pass judgment,” de Blasio said. He confirmed that 12 people were injured, three of them critically, but said there were no immediate reports of fatalities.

Con Edison inspection crews visited the building about an hour before the explosion to evaluate a planned installation of a meter during ongoing construction, utility president Craig Ivey said. But the meter didn’t pass the inspection, meaning it wasn’t ready for gas to be introduced.

De Blasio said there was no indication anyone called to report a possible gas leak. Con Edison crews were at the scene and planned to start investigating after firefighters got the blaze under control.

Another building next door was “in danger of possible collapse,” FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro said, and two other nearby buildings were affected by the explosion.

About 250 firefighters were at the scene early Thursday evening.

The area was being evacuated, and the city’s health department advised residents to keep their windows closed because of the smoke.

Click here to continue reading…

SOURCE: FoxNews.com

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s