5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Salted Caramel Truffles made with raw vegan caramel, salted peanut butter and melted dark chocolate. Crunchy on the outside, perfectly creamy and salty-sweet on the inside.
1 pound (16 ounces or about 1 1/2 cups packed) Medjool dates, pitted
2.5 Tbsp melted coconut oil, DIVIDED
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup natural salted peanut butter (creamy is best, but crunchy works, too)
1 heaping cup dairy-free bittersweet or dark chocolate chips
- If your dates aren’t sticky and super moist when squeezed, soak in hot water for 10-15 minutes to soften. Then drain thoroughly and pit. Otherwise, just pit and add to food processor.
- Add 1 TBSP melted coconut oil and mix. If it’s not quite combining, drizzle in warm water a little at a time – 1 tsp – scraping down sides as needed, and mix until a rough paste or ball forms. If you add too much water it will be difficult to handle them later as they won’t freeze up well.
- Lastly, add 3/4 tsp sea salt and mix once more to incorporate. Taste and adjust saltiness level if desired.
- Freeze for 30 minutes or until no longer warm and pliable enough to scoop into balls.
- Using a small melon baller or a Tablespoon and finger, scoop out small balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for another 20-30 minutes to set.
- Add peanut butter and 1/2 TBSP coconut oil to a small mixing bowl and microwave to melt (or heat in a small saucepan).
- Remove truffles from freezer and drizzle with warmed peanut butter. Freeze again for another 30 minutes, or until the peanut butter has formed a semi-firm “shell.”
- Warm the chocolate chips over a double boiler or in the microwave in 30 second increments with remaining 1 TBSP coconut oil.
- Remove truffles from freezer and, using a fork, scoop truffles up and quickly immerse in chocolate, using a small spoon to drizzle chocolate evenly on top. Then gently shake off excess chocolate and place back on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Top with a small sprinkle of sea salt (optional), and repeat until all truffles are coated.
- Place back in freezer or fridge to set – about 30 minutes. Serve straight from the freezer or fridge. Let set out for 15-20 minutes to soften. Store in a freezer-safe container in the fridge or freezer to keep fresh. Makes about 20 truffles.
Click here for more.
SOURCE: Minimalist Baker